AODA – Multi Year Accessibility Plan
Message from CEO
At StorageMart, we are dedicated to creating an environment of inclusion for our customers and employees. We provide a number of ways for our customers to communicate with us: call center, use of printed materials, texting, email, traditional mail, and in-person, to name a few. Our spaces are open and easily navigated. Our staff are trained to come to a person that has mobility challenges. We strive to continue improvements in this and all areas as our goal is to provide superior service to our customers.
Our industry of self-storage is based on the needs of customers in a variety of settings. Depending on our location, we may have units that are accessible by car or those that use cargo elevators to reach many floors in our climate-controlled facilities. Our customers may be people who are moving from one location to another; those who are storing items from an estate; business owners storing inventory; charities needing storage for their mission. We seek to serve all that have self-storage needs – large and small; short-term and long-term.
To do this, we plan our facilities with maximum accessibility for our customers. Easy loading ramps, wide doors, spacious elevators. Our staff know the sites and provide guidance for those units that are more accessible and more suited to specific needs. When communications present a challenge, we have computers available for messaging (large fonts, etc.), we regularly use relay services (for the hearing impaired), and most of our offices are spacious enough to accommodate using aids such as walkers or wheelchairs. And, of course, our employees can come to a person’s car or outside the building if additional help is needed.
InStorage Property Manager (dba StorageMart) strives to meet the needs of its employees and customers with disabilities and continues to work towards removing and preventing barriers to accessibility.
StorageMart is committed to fulfilling out requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. This accessibility plan outlines the steps we are taking to meet those requirements and to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
This plan is reviewed and updated at least once every 5 years.
We train new hires within 30 days of hire and that training covers all aspects of inclusion. This training is catalogued and tracked for completion.
Compliance Date: 01 January 2022 and on-going.
StorageMart is committed to providing excellent customer service to all of our customers, including those with disabilities.
- Multiple methods of providing service to our customers: in-person, over the phone (with or without relay service), on-line
- Ensuring that our spaces have units that are accessible to those needing extra space to navigate and/or maneuver: loading ramps, elevators, wide doors, etc.
- Informing customers of any impediments (on-going or temporary) that may hinder physical access to spaces.
- Continuing to improve spaces and provide a variety of means to include persons with disabilities, including training on how to work with persons with disabilities.
- Annual training on inclusion of all people, including those with disabilities
INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATIONS
Compliance Date: 01 January 2022 and on-going.
StorageMart continues to maximize the use of technology to enhance our communications with customers and staff, including methods that comply with accessibility requirements.
- Ensuring that our communications are available in a variety of formats: plain text, reader compatibility, phone center, etc.
- Providing materials in alternative formats upon demand, at no cost to the customer.
- Confirming and updating that our website is accessible.
- Our website undergoes periodic review for accessibility.
Compliance Date: 01 January 2022 and on-going. Where possible, StorageMart works with persons needing accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of their job.
- This includes cleaning supplies and equipment
- Screen readers as needed
- Clearly identifying which duties are essential
- Providing a venue to requesting accommodation and using the interactive process to work through those requests.
- Our application process is disability friendly.
- When an applicant requests information on accommodation, that is provided and the interactive process is initiated.
- There is a process for bringing disability issues forward and they are addressed in a timely manner.
While these are still in the planning stages, StorageMart is designing the “office of the future” to include self-service kiosks which will be accessible to all of our customers.
Compliance Date: 01 January 2022 and on-going. StorageMart keeps current on all required training on topics related to accommodation, accessibility, and inclusion. We track trends in these areas and train accordingly.
- Annual review of required training (by governments).
- All employees are required to complete training relevant topics (diversity and inclusion).